Sunday, May 17, 2009

Threadfin


In case you're not very sure what threadfin is, it's more commonly known as ngor he (Hokkien)/ ma yao yu (Cantonese)/ ikan kurau (Malay). It's touted as the first fish to give babies because of its smooth and soft flesh, and many swear by it as THE fish to eat during confinement. My friends' babies all love it in their porridge. I was excited to introduce threadfin to Chubbs, and had even hoped that it will jump-start his eating.

A small cube was steamed as part of Chubbs' lunch today. I mixed it with white rice cereal, and some butternut squash puree, to mask the strong smell and give the dish some sweetness. It could be due to the texture of the meal, or the unfamiliar taste of the fish... but Chubbs took a mouthful... and gagged. Red nose and watery eyes; it was a horrible sight, so painful to watch.





I don't know when Chubbs' appetite will return. Meanwhile, I will persist in giving him what's best to help him grow up healthy, and be ready for when he wants to eat again. Admittedly, it's hard not to be discouraged when I'm throwing away all the food that I make for him at every meal. And there's always that nagging, bigger worry that he's not getting enough nutrition with milk alone :(