Friday, May 15, 2009

Teething


Chubbs is officially teething! He now has two teeth! He was previously just toothing, because he only had one :/ Numero duo decided to show it's glory yesterday! However, the teething pains brought about the loss of appetite and Chubbs is again not eating any semi-solids :( He keeps pushing down in his new teeth with his tongue. Poor baby Chubbs. He must be feeling really uncomfortable.

Since he has a pair of chompers now, I figured it was time to bring out the box of HealthyTimes maple-flavoured teethers that I have been hoarding in the pantry. I laid half a piece on Chubbs' tray table, and watched him chase it around with his fingers, squealing with delight.


I brought it to his mouth, to show him that it could be eaten. He was overly enthusiastic, put the whole thing in, and was unpleasantly surprised by the sandy texture of the biscuit.


He decided it was more fun to bash his biscuit on the tray table instead, fueled by the loud noise it made with each hit. It broke down to grainy bits, and the table started to resemble a sand pit. The cleaning up was endless :/


I told him to get out of his destroyer-mode, and he thought of hiding the biscuit in his bib pouch for further bashing later.


He pouted when I caught him in the act and told him to take it back out.


When I saw that the idea of having him eat the biscuit was getting nowhere, I broke off a piece and showed him how to gum it. He caught on quickly and starting to chew the little piece he had in his hand. Only problem is, the biscuit is hard, and unless the baby knows exactly how to gnaw on it, it's a choking hazard. Chubbs proved this theory true a few times; so I had to hold the biscuit for him as he chewed.


I think he fared very well, considering it was his first teething biscuit. I shall trudge on, and let him snack on this more frequently; hopefully they will help to soothe some teething discomforts.