Saturday, May 30, 2009

First Family Hike


Since a cousin passed us a hiking harness a couple of months back, Fuzzy has been itching to bring Chubbs to Bukit Timah Hill. I can't say that I was the most enthusiastic about the idea (I'd rather be napping at home), but I went along for the experience. Our weekends have been so packed that we never managed to squeeze in time to do it. Today was perfect because it was a lazy day in for us, which is a rarity, and Chubbs woke up from his nap at 5pm, allowing us ample time to feed him, pack the necessities, drive there and finish the hike before it got dark.

The trickiest part however, was locating my trainers. I haven't worn them since uni, and was not certain they were in the best condition. Nonetheless, I slipped them bravely on. The plastic-ky stuff around the sides started flaking off. Fuzzy shot me a worried glance and asked if they would survive the hike. I shrugged it off and said there was only one way to find out... I was prepared to go barefoot if need be. 

Chubbs loved sitting snug in his harness (he did not fuss the entire hike), and busied himself looking around at the joggers and families around. He was particularly curious about the sounds that the cicada, crickets and other insects were making. He kept staring at the logs and trees to see where the sounds were coming from. The trees provided lovely shade, the forest was cool and the air was fresh. The hike was really enjoyable, even for me. And most importantly, our little family spent good quality time together, doing something healthy for once :)


The hike up was via a steep slope. It was not easy for Fuzzy to lug a 10kg backpack up, but after some huffing and puffing, we made it to the top, all in one piece.


Chubbs was happy to pose for a picture.

Then it was time to head back down the hill. We wanted to explore off the beaten track to avoid having to walk down the steep slope; so we ventured a little into the woods. Halfway through, I casually mentioned to Fuzzy that something feels broken in my shoe, but didn't pay much attention to it. The next time I looked down, this was what I saw :/



I thought it was no big deal, and trudged on. A few steps later...


Fuzzy and I could not stop laughing. Instead of throwing it away, we decided to leave the sole on the track to provide some comic relief for the next tired trekker who came along :/



One sole less, I made my way through the dirt track, and the road, back to the car. I was thinking smugly, that at least the left shoe held up. I sat in the car and noticed this.



They have fought a good fight, only totally giving out when I got to the car, where I could change into my Birks. The best thing to come out of this shoe nightmare? I get to go shopping for new trainers tomorrow :)