Saturday, May 16, 2009

Froggy Bowl, Barley and a Food Sock


There have been lots of food-related happenings over the past few days. Because Chubbs' feeding problems have returned, possibly as a result of teething, I am trying out new ways to get him to eat. First up, we put some banana in his Ikea froggy bowl; since he's recently taken interest to self-feeding. The result? Let's just say that sqeezing banana through his fingers and smearing it everywhere, brought him a lot of fun, there was not much eating going on, and lots of mess to clean up :/



After this failed attempt, I whipped out Plan B(arley). It's the other organic cereal from HealthyTimes that I wanted Chubbs to try. The only way he'd eat anything nowadays, is if I make it into a soupy consistency.


As you can tell from his expression, he was not enthusiastic about it. But he was very busy kicking around, flinging food in my hair :(

By the way (sorry to digress), this is how he sits in his high-chair.


I brought out the last trick I had up my sleeve. A food sock. Well, at least that's what I call it. You put food in the sock and the baby chews on it like a teether. The mesh acts like a sieve, and the baby eats the fine bits of food that pass through.

I put some banana in it, showed Chubbs how to do it once, and he started chomping down on the sock immediately. I held it steady for him at the beginning, then he learnt to manage on his own.


I wouldn't go as far as to say it was a success. Chubbs did get the gist of the exercise, but found it more rewarding (again) to whack the cr*p out of his new "toy" on the tray table. Can someone please tell me if this is a boy thing?

In all, a couple of days of fruitless attempts to get food into Chubbs. I keep telling myself that this is a phase that will soon pass. One day, I'm sure Chubbs will eat again; I'm praying this day comes sooner rather than later.