Sunday, March 15, 2009

Saturday Out


Chubbs had a full Saturday. Fuzzy had to check into the office, so we hitched a ride to town after brekkie (coffee and Simply Bread baguette slathered with Wilkin & Sons' Brandy Butter- yum!!!). Chubbs and I perused HMV, we both got a drink, I sussed out Le Creuset pots in Taka (he was entertained by the sales-uncle as I looked at the cookware), went shoe-shopping, and waited for daddy to finish work. We were thrilled to find that the baby fair is on at Taka again- we previously found lots of good buys there. The discounts are surprisingly substantial.

So we braved the preggers, parents and strollers and bought some essentials I needed to make Chubbs' mini meals. Pigeon carries very practical and reasonably-priced weaning products. Baby was patient with us, despite skipping his morning nap.

Lunch was back home, and after a short rest, we headed out to dinner with my parents and brother, Niel. It was an a la carte Japanese buffet restaurant (Hanabi-esque) at UE Square. There has been much hype about it, and its reviews in the papers have been rather good.


On the road.

I'm not a buffet person, because I always end up gorging myself unnecessarily (on hindsight, I gorge myself all the time), and I hate the feeling afterward. Nevertheless, I set out to enjoy this meal since I haven't had Japanese food in a while (Fuzzy and my favourite cuisine, by the way). As I expected, the service leaves much to be desired. But there were some very nice dishes- garlicked, unctuous, pure fat, pork belly yakitori (I ate way too much of this), beansprouts fried with kim chi, salmon belly sashimi, saba shio, and Niel liked the prawn tempura. Unfortunately, dessert was not part of the buffet.

Checking out the fountain.

We took turns to carry and walk Chubbs around the restaurant and mall. He was accommodating at first, but became too fidgety as his bedtime neared. So with tummies bulging, we hauled our precious cargo home to rest. And just like that, it's only one more day to the end of the weekend :(

p.s. Fuzzy went out later that evening, and left on my own, dessert was double-coated Tim Tams in front of the telly at 12am :)