Saturday, March 28, 2009

Baby Bump


My hands are still shaking as I type this. About four hours ago, my little Chubbs fell off our bed, and hit his head on the floor.

I was preparing him for his nap, and repeated what I did everyday. Put him in the middle of our king-sized bed with his bolster and wipe his face down with a cool towel. I walked about three steps to put the towel aside so that I could pick him up. When I turned around a couple of seconds later, Chubbs was already falling head first off the bed. My instinct was to grab him, but I only managed to catch his feet before I heard a loud, sickening thud.

He wailed out of shock, confusion and pain. I scooped him up and rushed him downstairs to Fuzzy. We placed an ice-pack on his head to ease any swelling, but the cold and numbness made him cry more. So we stopped, for fear of further pressure compounding in his head from the crying. Fuzzy's aunt (an anesthesiologist) rushed over to examine Chubbs. She said he looks fine because he's still as active and alert as ever, but we need to monitor him closely over the next few days for abnormalities in behaviour, lethargy, loss of appetite, vomiting, and over drowsiness.  As of now, unless we subject Chubbs to an x-ray scan or MRI, which are not good for him, we won't be able to detect blood clots (if any). If we notice changes in baby, we need to rush him to A&E immediately. This is very serious (I'm sure you've heard of what happened to Liam Neeson's wife, Natasha Richardson).

I blame myself for under-estimating how fast Chubbs can crawl now. He must have pushed himself up to crawling position, keeled over, and continued his crawl before falling off. All this in less than three seconds! His look of pain and fear when he hit the ground will forever be etched in my mind. Please help pray that my baby is unharmed by this accident.


"I should be fine Mommy. I'm a strong boy."