Saturday, March 7, 2009

Food... Finally!


The long-awaited day is here. Chubbs got his first taste of semi-solids today. Hurrah! Good on you, buddy! We waited until he's 6-months old because that is the recommended age by WHO now, to minimise the risk of allergies. Also, Chubbs' paediatrician says it's ok to wait since he is gaining good weight on milk alone.

Chubbs is being fed Organic Brown Rice Cereal from HealthyTimes. I'm a firm believer of organic food (although Fuzzy isn't quite). Having said that, I'm not going to be psychotic about only feeding him organic forever, I just don't want him to be injesting pesticides and chemical fertilisers as his first meals.

I was initally going to prepare food from scratch for Chubbs daily. I've bought the organic brown rice, grinder, pot, whisk, storage containers, chopping boards, blender, ceramic peeler etc. But I decided to go with commercial rice cereal (even though I generally dislike food out of a packet) because it is fortified with iron, which is crucial for brain development (he needs 11mg daily!!!). Brown rice on its own is simply lacking in iron. Having said that, I'll still be feeding home-made cereal to Chubbs, but only when I start introducing other iron-rich foods to him.

It's all very exciting. Sitting Chubbs in his high-chair, putting his new bib on, getting his mini utensils ready, etc.

"Feed me!"

He loved the cereal, and did not make as big a mess as we envisioned. The whole time I fed him, Chubbs craned his neck towards his spoon, took a mouthful and smacked his lips (super cute) after gulping it down. He even demanded for seconds (and finished it)!




Judging by his squeals of delight, laughter, and beaming smile, I'm guessing he was one very satisfied customer.


He was so proud of himself.

If Chubbs is anything like me (greedy/ food-lover), we're gonna be in for a swell time in the months to come. Yeehaa!