Monday, March 9, 2009

Hello Rubber Ducky!


This is a huge moment for us. Chubbs is 6-months old and a hefty 8.1kg! To celebrate this major milestone, we bought him his first rubber ducky. I've named this little fella Sunshine. It's the first time Chubbs has had company in the bath.

 "Who dat?!"

 "Gotcha!"

We brought Chubbs to Dr. Chan (our paediatrician) for his routine check and jab, and decided to do a scan today because she still hears the heart murmur (noticed it 3-months back). Chubbs had 10 cables (6 on the chest and 1 on each limb) attached to him and we had to pin him down for about 15-min as they did the EKG and the echo. It was a challenge.

Bad news. Dr. Chan detected 2 holes in Chubbs' heart, measuring 4.3mm in total. When she showed them to me on the screen, I almost cried. It is diagnosed as Atrial Septal Defect (ASD). However, she doesn't suggest any treatment just yet. Chubbs will be doing yearly scans to see if they close up on their own. Otherwise, we might be looking at surgery at age 5. Please keep little Chubbs in your prayers.

Despite this set-back, I can't believe how far we've come with Chubbs (I'm tearing up). If you had told me when I first brought him home, that I will have such a happy, healthy, playful, good-natured baby in a few months' time, I would have thought: "What are the chances!?" I look at Chubbs and know that it is God's grace that has carried him through. It's a miracle that this is the same baby Chubbs who had 12-hour bouts of colic crying, who had to sleep upright in our arms every night because of bad reflux (he has a milder case of it now), who had so much wind in his tummy that I could feel the air bubbles coursing through his body (it caused him agonising pain) when I put my hand on him, who we sometimes held for 36-hours straight just to comfort him, etc. Those tough months have indeed paid off many times over.

 "I'm a big boy now, Mommy!"

I count my blessings everyday with Chubbs. He is perfection to us, because we know that so many things could have gone much worse (we have read and heard too many horror stories) when he was forming inside me, at delivery, or even now. He is (super) active, strong (he can get into push-up position... I can't) and growing up well despite the congenital heart disease. The ASD doesn't seem to have slowed him down.

Chubbs, you are our pride, our love and our joy. Daddy and Mommy love you very much.

 My precious little bundle.

 Big kisses for Chubbs!