Sunday, March 15, 2009

Eat!


Sunday was delicious. The day started innocently with taw-huey from Rochor for breakfast (on top of our normal fare), after sending Chubbs' grandma, tai-gong and sam-sook to the airport. They were off to Brisbane for hols and baby enjoyed the most part of his 90-min long car ride.



After his nap, we were off to Asia Grand at Odeon Towers for dim sum with Chubbs' doting grandaunts and great-grandaunts. Fuzzy's unwritten rule when going for meals with the family is... to refrain from ordering anything, and just focus on eating. Here's the reason why.

Our order for seven people was... 15 different varieties of dim sum (two plates each), plus vinegared pigs trotters, chicken stewed in chinese wine, stir-fried veg with garlic, two types of congee, soup, another braised veg dish, and roasted pork. All in medium sized portions. We ordered so much that even the restaurant staff told us to stop.

Large amounts of food don't normally unfaze me. But this time, I got a tad worried when the plates arrived. Shockingly, we finished almost everything (pat on the back for Fuzzy and I). There was just enough left for me to ta-pow for lunch the next day. All the dishes were excellent, especially the pan-fried cheong fun with XO sauce. But the stars of the show were these palm-sized bolo buns filled with salted egg yolk custard. They were heavenly, and I had three (much to Fuzzy's amazement/ disgust).

Chubbs busied himself with having his feed, trips to the fish tanks where he eyed the prawns, lobsters, crayfish, geoducks, Alaskan crabs, razor clams, etc. curiously. He also happily made friends with the aunty waitresses and fellow diners.

Glug glug glug!

Afterwhich, we tried to walk off the meal by going to Taka to watch Niel perform in a concert. He plays saxophone for a band called Sixx. The performance was a prelude to the annual Sunburst music festival that's to be held in KL next week. His is the only Singaporean band invited to play, alongside acts like Erykah Badu, Pharrell Williams, and Korn. Last year's festival featured Incubus and John Legend.



The music was too blaring of Chubbs, so he chilled outside with Fuzzy while I supported my little brother. They play jazzy, rappy originals, and the songs were quite good. I know I don't say this enough. But I'm really proud of you, Niel.

Chubbs crashed when we reached home. Fuzzy and I deliberated on what to have for dinner. And we chose... chocolate fondue! My mum gave us a fondue set for Christmas, and we bought some Ecuadorian 73% cocoa Guayaquil bean chocolate recently. Bananas, oranges, cookies, salted almonds, bread, etc. were prepped for dunking.

Dinner's ready!

It was a glorious meal that left Fuzzy throwing his arms up in surrender as I mop up the last bit of chocolate with bread.

I have a warm, happy feeling in my tummy as I look forward to my dim sum left-overs tomorrow. Here's a parting shot of Chubbs. We reckon he's beginning to look more like the print on his romper, no?