Monday, October 19, 2009

Bread + La Braceria + Orange


I waited till now before letting Chubbs have any orange, because he used to throw up a lot after breastfeeding, if I ate oranges. Citrus is just another of his sensitivities, and you'll be surprised to know that a large number of people are actually allergic to oranges. But tonight after dinner, we cut him some segments, and he enjoyed a couple of pieces before he declared he had enough. A good first try, considering he did not get sick afterwards.

Last Sunday, we drove out bright and early to pick up a fresh breakfast loaf for Chubbs and ourselves. Swiss Bake and Simply Bread are 3min away, which means I can get good bread easily and we can come in early to get oven-fresh loaves. We picked the Goldkorn loaf (it was still warm and crusty) for him from Swiss Bake, which contains linseed, wholemeal flour, barley, oats, corn grits and other good stuff. For us, it was a ciabatta and a cinnamon loaf (very predictable) from Simply Bread.

This was the first time that Chubbs is eating something not baked or cooked by me, so I was a little concerned about the additives and sodium content in the bread. It actually tasted salty to me :( So I'll only be feeding him small portions at a time and maybe only every other day. But I like Swiss Bake because they list out the ingredients that go into each loaf. This one seemed the most wholesome.

Mommy and baby sharing a hunk of bread.


He devoured a rather large slice; even enjoying the crust, gnawing on it slowly (and happily). Recently, he's also taken to finger-feeding me his food. This is immensely fun to him; some sort of role reversal. So most of the bread I ate was fed to me by baby.

To celebrate my brother's birthday and my parents' anniversary, we lunched at La Braceria. We headed back because Fuzzy and I desperately needed to try their Fettuccine al Tartufo, i.e. Fettuccine pasta with creamy truffle sauce (one of Fuzzy and my all-time favourite dishes). The pasta did not disappoint. I could smell it the second it exited the kitchen, way before it reached me. Basically, the pasta was tossed in a cheesy, eggy, creamy, truffle-y sauce, embellished with slivers of black truffle. I inhaled it within minutes, and everyone who tasted it agreed that it was delicious. Will definitely be back for this dish again.

The other main dishes we ordered were a mixed cold cut platter with prosciutto, ham, salami, sun-dried tomato, fresh mozzarella, artichoke, white asparagus, green asparagus etc, the sauteed clams in white wine and garlic, a salad, two orders of beef tenderloin, rack of lamb served on a hot stone, and pasta with langoustines and brandy, tomato, cream sauce. Paired with some Valpolicella, it was all very good.

Dessert was three lava chocolate cakes to be shared amongst us. As mentioned in previous posts, as long as there's this dessert on the menu, I've got to have it. The large serving was hot, oozy, not cloyingly sweet, and very satisfying. One of the better versions we've had, especially since it's served laced with a splash of Grand Marnier on top, which adds to the flavour and makes for great presentation when they flame it at the table.

Again, it was a great meal. Chubbs enjoyed himself too, since the waitresses recognized him from our last visit and played with him as we ate. I'm planning my next trip back, and I already know what I'll be ordering.

p.s. The Gruyere was a fluke afterall. He hardly touched that stuff again :(