Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Yummy Broccoli?


I feel I'm very late in giving him broccoli because I know mothers who have been giving their babies broccoli since 6/7 months. The abundance of vitamins and minerals make broccoli a superfood for babies, but I waited because it is a "gassy" cruciferous vegetable and some little tummies have had problems digesting it. Chubbs previously had some sensitivities to "gassy" foods and also considering how his weaning programme hasn't gone on the smoothest, I thought it prudent to hold off the introduction of this rather strong-tasting vegetable until later.

I gave him a floret of broccoli together with his stewed beef, sweet potato, pea and barley cereal dinner. What a meal! Sounds yummy, no? He took the first bite gingerly, but got the hang of it after a couple more mouthfuls. He finished everything with gusto! What a trooper!

For dessert, he had a handful of blueberries; the Vit C helps with iron absorption. He loves blueberries, and I love them too because they freeze so well. Just when I thought he couldn't possibly eat anymore, he downs a load of Gerber strawberry and apple flavoured cereal puffs (his current favourite tidbit) for snack, as Fuzzy and I had our dinner. He feeds himself these and is getting very good at his pincer grasp. It's been a good few days of eating for darling Chubbs! Hurrah!

"Four teeth are better than two!"