Friday, July 31, 2009

Bing!


Last night while supermarketing with Chubbs, some lady asked us, "How old is she?" We get this a lot... even when Chubbs' intentionally decked out head-to-toe in blue. Anyway, have you ever gotten suckered into buying food that sounds fun or like they'd taste good? E.g. rocket, frisee, bockwursts... Bing cherries are one such candidate in my book (doesn't hurt that it is also the name of my favourite Friends character). We spotted some Bings and decided to get a punnett for Chubbs to try. I would have prefered to give him organic cherries, but I haven't come across any of this variety.

Chubbs loves all stone fruits. He easily eats 3/4 of a nectarine or peach as dessert after meals, and can finish a whole plum on his own. I was almost certain that he would enjoy these. After today's lunch of salmon and vegetable stew, dessert was to be three of these deep red beauties. I pitted and passed them through the Munchkin baby food grinder.

He finished them greedily; slurping up all the crimson goodness. Yay! More power to Chubbs!

I'm going to let him try Rainier cherries too, but I tend to favour foods that are richly coloured. Chubbs doesn't get much red/purple foods in his diet, so these Bings are great!