Sunday, July 12, 2009

Muskmelon


"Is it snack time?"

To the Japanese, muskmelons can be highly-priced gifts, costing easily around S$100 per melon and up. If you've had the pleasure of tasting a true Japanese one before, I bet that intense fragrance, sweetness, juiciness, and velvety texture will never be forgotten.

My F-I-L bought one that was from Korea; I was eagerly waiting for it to ripen so Chubbs could have some. The flesh was a lovely shade of jade green and smelt wonderful. The texture was less yielding than I remembered it to be, and was not as sweet, nor frangrant as their Japanese counterparts. Nonetheless, it tasted countless times better than the bland honeydew melons that we normally get.

It was very juicy, so much so that I had to mix in some rice cereal before feeding Chubbs, making it more of a post-dinner snack than just a drink. He warmed to it after a few bites and chomped down a good-sized portion. This boy loves fruit! Way to go, buddy!

"Muskmelon... yum!"