Friday, July 17, 2009

Our Special Day


Weekends are usually crazy for us, so Fuzzy and I set aside at least one special day a month, for the three of us to just hang out. But this month's was extra special. Besides taking a day off, Fuzzy got me a few yummy treats, and threw in a surprise by coming home super early yesterday... thank you, Love. Early enough for us to enjoy a lavish afternoon tea with copious amounts of coffee. What exactly did we have?




Even Chubbs couldn't contain his excitement!

Fuzzy detoured on his way home, and splurged $40 on these yummies from our (current) favourite patissier, Centre P.S. We finished all FOUR cakes (sooo sinful) and the giant lemon eclair. We saved the coffee eclair and the last, and maybe best part, of the surprises for today. Fuzzy chose the Mont Blanc, a lemon mousse, a seven-layer chocolate cake, and a raspberry trifle. Our favourite, hands-down, was the Mont Blanc; sweet cream covered with chestnut puree on a spongy base. Delish!

Our special day started with the coffee eclair from yesterday as part of breakfast, and a trip to the PD. We were told by the nurses the last time we were there, that Chubbs was due for a vaccination this month. But upon arrival, we found that we have been mis-informed and he wasn't due for another jab till he turned one. Humph. Wasted trip. Nevertheless, we weighed Chubbs... he's 9.8kg! Now I know why my back is constantly aching :/

As Chubbs napped, Fuzzy and I made a simple pasta lunch; angel hair with Pecorino (an Italian sheep's milk cheese), truffle oil, topped with a half-boiled egg, paired with a 2006 Cab Sav.



I recently inherited my mum's breadmaker (that she hasn't used in almost 10 years), so that I can bake fresh, organic bread for Chubbs. Bread is also a staple for Fuzzy and I, and we couldn't wait to try it out. We bought some organic unbleached white flour, and I set a loaf to bake before we left for the day; it was finally ready after lunch. We were itching to get our chompers around a slice.

Fuzzy thought that the loaf would cool faster if he stared hard at it.


But I had a better idea. I volunteered to peel off (and eat) the crust to help the steam escape.


Fuzzy smacked my hand away too many times. This was what's left of the loaf after I was done picking at it. Not a pretty sight :/


I thought the bread turned out good because I like my bread crusty. Tasted more like sourdough to me, though. Fuzzy wasn't too fond of it; he prefers his bread soft and fluffy. Will have to tweak the recipe slightly to make my hubby happy. We didn't give this to Chubbs since we felt the salt content was too high. I'll bake a salt-free version for him soon.

While Chubbs was lunching, Fuzzy and I tucked into the last of his surprises for me. Macaroons! He bought five delectable flavours; lemon, black sesame, sea salt and caramel (we swooned when we bit into this one), dark chocolate and raspberry.



They were divine; consistently crispy shell, chewy interior, and to-die-for fillings. In our opinion (until proven otherwise), Centre P.S. makes the best macaroons in town. Beats Canele, Bakers' Inn, Choupinette, Da Paolo etc.

We did some shopping after that to look for a new car seat for Chubbs, visited an organic supermaket and loaded up on a few boxes of breakfast cereal for the week, and came home to a simple dinner of bread, salad, soup and crispy roasted chicken. Another perfect day with my family.