Tuesday, September 22, 2009

A Long Weekend of Gluttony


It is high birthday season August through to end of September for our families, and especially this week, with Fuzzy's and my F-I-L's one day apart. And naturally, we celebrate... by pigging out.

Starting with Saturday night, where we headed to Mitzi Cantonese Restaurant for some good ol' Cantonese cooking. We were served "peach buns" with lotus paste because it is a birthday celebration, followed by scrambled eggs with crab meat, sharks' fin soup (for everyone but me), deep-fried prawn and pork balls, suckling pig flavoured with lam-yu, buttered king prawns, deep-fried grouper with sweet and sour sauce, roasted chicken, stir-fried scallops with asparagus, stir-fried beef with kailan, egg noodles with chicken and dried mushrooms, and taro cream with lotus seeds for dessert. They got most of the dishes spot on. Very homely cooking, with no too bad an MSG attack afterwards. The suckling pig was the star of the show; crunchy, lardy, fragrant, moreish!

We stayed out way past Chubbs' bedtime that night. He was awake for eight hours straight (quite a feat for him), but was still on his best behaviour, playing with Fuzzy and I. The waitresses were also rather smitten by his smiles, laughs and chatter.

He likes looking into my eyes. Awww...

Check it out; the same facial expression.

On Sunday, Fuzzy and I met up with my friend, S, and her hubby, J, for dinner at Le Petit Cuisine at Serene Centre. We haven't met in months and I was keen to see how baby Asher has grown! The babies had their dinners with us as well. Asher tucked into a yummy bowl of cottage cheese, couscous, and avocado, while Chubbs had a home-made banana muffin and watermelon juice. For us, we shared a salad, I had the duck confit, and Fuzzy ordered a mixed grilled meat (two types of sausages, ham, pork chop, braised pork belly) dish with sauerkraut and potatoes.


I was hesitant to order the confit after our last not-so-pleasant encounter with it, but I gave it a second chance. The duck fared well enough this time, but the potato gratin was still too wet and sloppy.


Fuzzy's meal was a monster. Weak eaters don't stand half a chance against it. I helped him with quite a bit of the sauerkraut, and he still had left-overs. I think the problem isn't that there was too much food, but it was simply too salty. I could almost feel my kidneys screaming. We concurred that we'll come back for this again, when we are very hungry, and when we need a sodium high.

For a sweet ending, we trotted over to Island Creamery and had some scoops and the babies got to chat for a while. They were both getting restless, climbing over tables and chairs and trying to wriggle out of our grasps. So we called it a night and lugged our precious cargoes home.


Using the birthdays as a valid reason once more, we made reservations at Au Petit Salut on Monday for lunch with my in-laws, and Shan. Chubbs missed his nap, and was a little quiet at the beginning of the meal, sitting brooding in his chair.


But he perked up once I gave him his snacks. Fuzzy wanted some too, but Chubbs wouldn't share, because he knows that Daddy is no longer a baby. I wonder when Fuzzy will come to realize that :/


I know this is reiteration, but we are indeed boring people. We had escargot and onglet again (roll eyes upwards). I chose creme brulee for dessert, and Fuzzy tried the dark chocolate mousse with raspberries and rice crispies. It was 70% cocoa, and good!

Chubbs has this thing for pointing and yelling, "There!" nowadays. So we'd ask, "Where's the fountain?" He'll scan the area and do this cute response.


The owner of the restaurant, a friend of my in-laws, happened to be at the restaurant. She started playing with Chubbs and seeing that he was so friendly, she carried him for a tour of the garden area and to play with her staff in the restaurant. Fuzzy and I managed to finish our coffees before the little darling was returned to us.


I'll admit. We overate. Again. Let's just sit and rest our jaws.


(Maybe I'll have a coffee to help my stomach settle. A small slice of cake is also necessary to help soak up the caffeine.)