Saturday, September 5, 2009

Birthday Bash No. 1


We had Chubbs' first birthday do tonight. We had over my F-I-L's side of the family, and the total turn-out was more than 50 peeps. Chubbs is blessed to have so many who love him :) Nonetheless, we really missed the three kiddos running around, my elder B-I-L and wife in the UK, younger B-I-L (Shan was stuck in camp), Yee-Sook and Aunty Jan :(

Dinner was sumptuous. On the Western side, there were two prime ribs, one leg of lamb, coleslaw, moussaka (my M-I-L slogged all day in the kitchen to make this), etc. Since there always has to be Chinese food at every party for the Grandies, we had fried prawn noodles, egg noodles, tofu with crab meat and bamboo shoot, roasted pork belly, deep-fried prawns, braised herbal duck, deep-fried cod fish with garlic and chilli... and a lot more stuff I can't remember. Dessert was Nonya kueh, kueh Kosui, kueh Dadar and one more that I don't know the name of.

Chubbs' GrandUncle thought it was an apt time for his initiation.

He likes to be carried by GrandPa.

Chubbs had four birthday cakes. A brownie cheesecake from his Tat-Sook-Gong, a (pink/flowery) buttercream cake from Balmoral, a vanilla bean crepe cake from Classic (my favourite) and Chubbs' very own special banana cupcake that I made.


After the birthday song was sung, Chubbs gave his best shot at blowing out the candle. Despite having under-gone intensive training with GrandPa over the past week, he did not manage to kill the flame :/ He did cut the cake though, holding the cake knife very steady.


He couldn't wait to taste his cake and was tugging at my dress, hurrying me to feed him.

This was the first time he's having cake. It contained butter and whole egg, he liked it and had quite a few mouthfuls :)

It was a great night catching up with relatives, coupled with very good food. Chubbs enjoyed himself to the very end of the party, close to 11pm. He said goodbyes and goodnights with flying kisses to everybody before heading for a much-needed bath.