Sunday, August 23, 2009

Watermelon, Agua Fresca and Red Bell Pepper


Fuzzy gets watermelon cravings (???), so we hunted down a really good one at Finest yesterday morning. My dad taught me early how to choose the juiciest fruit. But it's still difficult to land a sweet, bright red watermelon because there's no way (that I know of) to tell that. Does anyone have pointers for me? But this time, I was so pleased with our purchase that I decided to let Chubbs have some after he finished his chicken stew lunch.

I cut up small cubes for Chubbs to feed himself. He loved the flavour but the pulp was too fibrous for him. So I gave it to him as juice instead. I'm glad that he really enjoyed it :)


With the rest of the fruit, Fuzzy made a delicious watermelon, mint and lime agua fresca for us. We were supposed to bring it for a picnic at the Botanical Gardens, but Chubbs woke up too late for us to catch any light. So we sipped half a watermelon's worth of the cool drink at the kitchen island while feeding Chubbs his beef dinner instead.

I included an organic red bell pepper with his beef stew last night. I don't usually introduced two new foods to Chubbs at once, because in case a sensitivity develops, I won't know which the culprit is. But since Chubbs is almost one, and he has tried melons before, I took the risk.

Chubbs meal. Barley cereal was also added to round the meal off.


He liked it but didn't quite finish everything because he seems to be on a food strike (again) these days. He gets too distracted by everything else around, and is (naturally) more interested to play than eat. Feeding him gets trying at times. I never knew I had this level of patience in me.