Monday, August 3, 2009

It Smells


Some folks do not have the gene for the enzyme to break down the sulphur compound in asparagus. So their pee doesn't smell even if they eat a tonne of asparagus. Unfortunately for me, Chubbs is not one of them.

I bought a pack of organic asparagus, trimmed and steamed them before feeding Chubbs some with his chicken, carrot and barley stew lunch today. He took a few bites and concluded that he did not fancy the vegetable at all. Not a single mouthful of food went in after that, no matter how much coercing I did. Mission aborted! Try again tomorrow...


In the end, he had a few cherries with brown rice cereal instead. But that few mouthfuls of asaparagus was enough to do the trick. An hour later, when Chubbs was happily playing in his new playpen, I wrinkled my nose after catching a whiff of something not so pleasant. He needs his diapers changed, pronto!

"Do you smell something?!"