Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Uhhh!


I know it's hard for some of you to believe this, looking at me now, but I used to do a lot of competitive sports, and I watch bits of every sport on TV. Even sacrificing sleep by waking up early on Saturday mornings to catch a few hours of NBA before my parents came back from work. But I especially love watching tennis; the more the merrier. I am glued to every Open (from first round to the finals), and almost any of the ATP World Tour that they broadcast. If they don't show it, I Google it. So now that the first Slam of the year is on in Melbourne, I try to catch as many matches as I can, in between watching, feeding and playing with Chubbs. Needless to say, Chubbs has been exposed to the world of passing shots, volleys, forehands, smashes, etc. He has learnt how to bounce on his feet at the "baseline", a la waiting for a serve, and to my horror, learnt how to grunt, "Uhhh!" like Nadal when hitting a ball with his racket. Incidentally, Chubbs is a leftie too. In fact, on the day he was born, it was the U.S. Open finals and I was waiting to watch the Swiss ace play. As I lay contracting, I was still hoping to only have to go to the hospital after the match was over. Nope. Chubbs wanted out fast. Immediately after delivery, I asked Fuzzy, "Is there ESPN on this TV?" Nuh-uh. I didn't to see Federer win his fifth consecutive U.S. Open title :(

I seriously don't know why I am so taken with watching the game. I took lessons years ago, and besides being able to dish out an average serve and volley (I liked Pat Rafter then), I didn't play very well. Fuzzy, on the other hand, is an ex-Combined Schools' player, but he doesn't watch ANY tennis. Get this... it does not interest him one bit. He doesn't care who the players are, how to pronounce their names, where they are from, etc. He even finds my interest in it slightly annoying, and hardly enthusiastic about my life-long dream to watch Wimbledon live. Well, there are worse things to be addicted to, no? Anyway, nothing better to nurse a bad cold than 12hour-days of ESPN. Plus, I'm thrilled that my fave, Justine Henin, is out of retirement and playing the Open. Yay!

p.s. Fun fact 1- Chubbs started wearing XL diapers today. My son has a big butt and that makes him happy :/

Fun fact 2- He now helps me cart my groceries around in the supermarket.