Saturday, June 27, 2009

My Sick Baby


For the past few nights, I've been holding Chubbs to sleep almost the entire night... haven't done so since he was two-months old. He didn't want me to put him down at all, because he was in so much pain. We brought him to the PD twice this week because he vomited the contents of his tummy several times; all when I was carrying him :/ He's diagnosed as having stomach flu; apparently it's a viral infection that's in the air, and there's nothing we could have done to avoid it. Because of the infection, Chubbs lost all appetite (probably due to stomach cramps) and has not had a semi-solid meal in four days; he's lost quite a bit of weight.

Day before he got sick.

And then there's the fever. Highest recorded was above 40 Degree Celsius. I panicked when I woke up one night to find Chubbs huddled beside me, trembling in his sleep... if I had put him down in his cot, instead of holding him to sleep, I would have missed this, and it would have been disastrous. I could feel the heat radiating from his body, and his lips were drying up. We started sponging him down with a cold towel and eventually plonked him in the bath because we couldn't cool him down fast enough. It was 6am, he was running a 40 degree temperature, the water was cold, he was rudely awakened, he was so weak he could hardly sit or hold his head up, but Chubbs played and laughed in the water, hardly kicking up any fuss. In times like these, my son's strength and good nature amazes me so much; I cannot put to words how much I love him.

Enjoying his bath.

I had to sit Chubbs in his bath four times yesterday. His lips turned purple and he was shivering at some points. He took his cold treatment bravely, and distracted himself from the discomfort by mercilessly bashing his bath toys together (some things just don't change). But no matter how many soaks he's had, his temperature is still hovering at around 39. He is very weak and has been resting his head down on everything within close proximity; my shoulders, Fuzzy's chest, any pillow, my leg, etc. I've never seen his so still and sanguine before. I'm nursing him every hour to keep his fluid levels up and for him to get the maximum nutrition possible; hopefully this cools him down too. We are physically very tired (I'm almost at the point of hallucination), and running out of ideas on how to help Chubbs feel better. Please help to pray that he feels better soon.

Sponging him down while watching Wimbledon.

KO-ed on our bed.