Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Ember


Fuzzy took time off today for a lunch date with Chubbs and I. It's also an early Fathers' Day celebration for Fuzzy :) We were last at Ember a year and a half ago for my birthday dinner. We remember that meal fondly and were excited to return to have the miso cod again. I was also eager to check out the refurbished restaurant, since they underwent a major renovation recently. The new look of the restaurant is a bit more chic with clean lines, but less cosy.

The set lunch menu (no a la carte for lunch) is extensive, with numerous choices for each of the three courses. Fuzzy had the special starter of the day; baby spinach salad with poached egg and summer truffle shavings. He loved it so much, he requested that I make it for him at home.



I could not resist the seared scallops, and they did not disappoint; done to perfection with their centres still juicy and rather raw. The bacon sauce that the scallops sat on was delicious too, lending a hint of smokieness.



For Fuzzy's main course, he had their sea bass with bottarga, which was also off the menu. Bottarga is dried grey mullet roe, which can be a little pungent, so I was curious as to how the dish would turn out. Ember's really good at cooking fish, it seems. The sea bass was moist, flavourful and the bottarga did not over-power the delicate fish. I never pass up on the black miso cod everytime I dine here. It was as good as I remembered it to be. Sweet and savoury at the same time, with the flesh still succulent despite being broiled.



Whenever there's baked chocolate lava cake with vanilla bean ice-cream on the dessert menu, I have to order it. The cake was oozy, sinful and good to the last bite. It went very nicely with our favourite Illy blend cuppa. The only let-down? I felt the ice-cream was not rich, creamy or smooth enough :( Fuzzy had something unusual. A vanilla custard topped with fresh mango cubes and Thai tea granita. He thought it would be interesting to see how the flavours played out. When the dessert arrived, I was impressed with the presentation, though I was still dubious about the flavour combination. After tasting the granita, I have to commend my hubby for having such good foresight. The red tea flavour was robust, and it was a satisfying dessert despite being light and refreshing. I'll try to duplicate this at home too :)

The restaurant did not provide baby chairs. So Chubbs was in his stroller a good part of the time since his special cloth seat could not fit over the restaurant chairs. He looked so cute peering over the table at me.



When he started to fuss, the waitresses took turns to carry him and walk him around outside the restaurant. They were very entertained by how he clapped his hands and how he responses with a smile everytime they talk to him. He loved playing with their necklaces too (something mommy never wears). There was a huge lonesome-looking green Ty bear on one of the chairs in the lobby, and Chubbs decided to keep him company until it was time to leave.



p.s. No, we did not let Chubbs touch the bear. Goodness knows how long it's been sitting there, fading under the sunlight, collecting dust, and how many other babies have gotten their grimy hands on it... I could go on all day...