Friday, June 19, 2009

Blueberry


I'm reminded of the movie, My Blueberry Nights, the one directed by Wong Kar Wai, with Norah Jones and Jude Law. What can I say? I'm a romantic movie junkie :/ And my poor hubby has unwillingly sat through too many with me...

I've been waiting to let Chubbs try blueberries because it is a well-known "superfood", high in anti-oxidants. So much so that they are touted to be able to potentially fend off cancers, infections and inflammations of all sorts! I haven't seen any organic ones around until recently. I think the berries are in season! Fuzzy and I bought a punnet from Fairprice Finest, for Chubbs to have a taste.

I ground a handful of raw blueberries up, using the Munchkin baby food maker, and mixed the purple mush into his brown rice cereal, flax meal and breastmilk. I left the skins (I think this is the most nutritious part) and seeds in too. I was a little worried he won't take it because the skins made the mixture quite chunky, but he surprised me and slurped his breakfast up. Yay!

I believe in eating the colours of the rainbow; but there are few purple/blue foods out there. So it's great that Chubbs likes blueberries. And they are great with other fruits like apples, pears, bananas etc. More power to Chubbs!

"Check out that bicep!"