Sunday, June 21, 2009

Fathers' (Sun)day Eats


Besides honouring the daddies out there, Fathers' Day is also an excuse for me to indulge in more good food :) To celebrate with my dad, we stayed home for a salmon belly sashimi and grilled crayfish dinner last night. My brother, Niel, got some really good stuff from a fish wholesaler friend and we ate enough raw fish to satisfy any possible cravings for the next month or so :) Omega-3 super-charge!

Lunch for my F-I-L was arranged at the Imperial Herbal restaurant at VivoCity. Reservations were made because Fuzzy's elder brother has heard some good things about the restaurant and my F-I-L likes Chinese food.

Chubbs out and about... he loves to rest his arm like that.

Our set menu included scallops with egg whites in deep-fried potato nest, sharks' fin (which I am against eating!) herbal soup, steamed fish with green ginger and tobiko, herbal chicken with chestnuts and red dates, braised sea cucumber with yam and abalone mushroom, scallops with seaweed, and the list goes on. Food was above average... well, it better be, considering the price we paid! It doesn't taste bad, but nothing to holler about. Dessert was an interesting lemon-grass flavoured jelly with aloe vera. The sweetness was just right, and it provided a refreshing end to the meal. It was a long lunch... we left feeling too full at 3.30pm.

Touring the restaurant...