Friday, February 13, 2009

Days are Long, but the Years are Short


This past week, I have been having a difficult time with Chubbs. His sleep pattern has gone totally bonkers. The schedule used to be: wake for 2 hours, sleep for 1 hour. Going by this, he had around 4 naps during the day. I'd put him down for his nap by cuddling and rocking him till he winds down and closes his eyes, and then lay him in his crib. He'd look up at me when I put him down, but fall asleep on his own. If he fusses, I pick him up again, comfort him, and put him down again to let him fall asleep. I repeat this process as many times as necessary. It is extremely labour-intensive and takes nuclear amounts patience (not one of my virtues). But I take deep breaths and do this because I am vehemently against the "cry it out" approach (will probably post my views on this later).

Despite our best efforts, things have changed. Chubbs has learnt that if he is being cradled, he's being put to sleep. So he wages war. He struggles, pulls his ear, scratches me, kicks, whines... So I thought I'd try something else. I lay him in his crib once he is sleepy, then I pat his back, massage his shoulders, rub his tummy/back, stroke his head, sing, hum, read... This goes on for more than an hour (I almost collapse with exhaustion). Nothing works until I nurse him. To which he falls asleep within minutes. Websites suggest the pacifier. I gave it a shot. Chubbs spat it out.

 Tired but can't sleep :(

I'm at my wits end. The past few nights, he finally falls asleep at 11.30pm (while nursing for the 3rd time). But proceeds to wake up at 1am, 4am, 6.30am, 7.30am. Sleep-deprived, and very upset that I cannot comfort my son, I read all the forums that I could lay my hands on today. To my surprise, a lot of parents face this problem between 4-6 months. Rationale is, that baby is cognitively so absorbed with learning to crawl, babble, eat, etc., that he is too distracted to sleep. Babies just want to practise their new skills as much as they can. This phase will supposedly pass in 2-4months! Also for Chubbs, his thigh was very swollen and red after his jab the other day. I think he was hurting and needed more soothing comfort.

 Yaaawn...

 The rare nap...

Because sleep is so hard to come by for Chubbs now, I have been holding him to sleep in my arms (instead of putting him down and risk waking him up). I think it's more important for him to get good rest (that's when he grows most and brain filters all he has learnt) than me being able to get stuff done. With the to-do list out the window, I have been watching him sleep in my arms, noticing his every smile, twitch of the nose, etc. I am content.

As you can guess, my arms are beyond tired, and my back muscles very sore. But I know I can never get these tough days with Chubbs back. I remind myself that the days might be long, but the years are short. All too soon, my baby boy will not need me to dance/sing/hold him to sleep, rub his back, nurse him... anymore. Meanwhile, I'm going to cherish every moment.

 Rested and happy!