Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Hobbly Mommy


Chubbs' undergoing a growth spurt. Which means he is feeding every 2-3 hourly, and waking up at least twice in the middle of the night for extra feeds, i.e. he's back on a newborn schedule, i.e. Fuzzy and my blissful 7-hourly night sleeps are temporarily put on hold.

Two nights ago, I fell asleep on the couch while feeding Chubbs at 3am. I woke up, saw that he has drifted off to sleep, and decided to carry him back in his crib. I took two steps and fell to a mangled heap on the ground with Chubbs. I didn't realise that my left leg had gone "dead" when I was sleeping and hence my ankle gave way when I put weight on it. There was a loud "crack" (from the ankle) as I fell on my bottom. First thing I checked was if Chubbs was alright and yelled for Fuzzy. My little angel slept through the fall, cradled in my arms (thank God) but woke up when Fuzzy put him in his bed. The commotion must have startled him.

The amazing thing was, Chubbs just lay quietly in bed for about 1-hour as Fuzzy proceeded to fix his damaged wife. Baby seemed to know that something was amiss, and he had to be on his best behaviour. He wasn't grumpy, and didn't fuss or cry. He just lay there, cooing to his stuffed-animal friends, and let daddy help mommy without interruption. That's my boy...

Now, I'm nursing a purplish, swollen foot and hobbling around in crutches. I've been relegated to the sofa, with the remote control, a book, my phone and packets of double-coated Tim Tams. But evolution is a thing to behold. I have learnt to rock Chubbs to sleep on one foot (giving myself shin splints in the interim- wonder if that's worse) and will hopefully learn soon, to tackle the stairs while carrying baby and crutches.

Sleepy Chubbs...

 In daddy's arms.

 Traffic police? :/