Saturday, January 3, 2009

Baby Massage


Fuzzy and I brought Chubbs for his first baby massage class today. I was initially apprehensive because I expected it to be over-crowded, not in-depth enough, too rushed etc. Plus I couldn't predict how Chubbs will behave over the 2-hr session.

But it turned out to be a hit with Chubbs! He loved it and was the only baby who didn't cry. I was very surprised that his attention span kept up. We were extremely proud of him because we knew how tired he was. Chubbs woke up early and skipped two naps to attend the class. He was still his usual smiley, laughing self despite his fatigue and remained receptive to our touch. Although mid-way through, Chubbs decided to say hello to all his new friends in class, and broke out in a 5-min long, loud cooing session over the instructor's talking. It was very cute.

I recommend baby massage to all, as it thoroughly relaxes baby and bonds parents and baby. This first half of the course, we learnt to massage baby's legs, arms, tummy and face. There are rhymes and fun tunes to sing along as you massage. Chubbs seemed to take to that.

All the infants were happy, drowsy and content at the end. Most fell sound asleep. Massage's health and psychological benefits are endless (for both baby and parents). They are covered in lots of material online and in books. KK and Thomson both offer courses, and I'm sure private institutions do too.

Fuzzy and I will make an effort to massage baby every night before bed. I figure it will help him sleep better. Second part of the course is next Saturday... we are eagerly looking forward to it and I'm sure Chubbs is too.

 Post-massage bliss.