Friday, April 10, 2009

Sweet Potato


I've been trying to get Chubbs orange sweet potatoes for a while now, but have had no luck in the supermarkets. So I enlisted the help of Chubbs' Tai-Gong (TG) to buy me some, the next time he chances upon them in the wet market.

This afternoon, we explored Centrepoint Robinson's, looking for more tray table suction toys for Chubbs, and managed to find two interesting ones. He kept still enough while on the road to allow me some shots.

Check out his self-inflicted bolster-battle wound. Sigh.

When we came home, I found the sweet potatoes on the kitchen table. TG saw some nice ones in Ghim Moh market as he went to get lunch. While Chubbs played with his grandies, I scrubbed the potatoes, steamed them for 20-minutes and refrigerated them until ready to use. The obvious benefit of sweet potato is beta carotene, which is converted into Vitamin A in the body. Vitamin A is important for vision and bone growth, so it's a clear winner for babies.

To prepare them for Chubbs' dinner, I halved a small potato, peeled the skin off, mashed it, smoothed it with hot water and strained it through a fine sieve. Chubbs' didn't mind it at all and ate most of what I made. I'm pleased :)


To add some excitement to his post-dinner play-time, we brought out one of his new tray table toys. It's some sort of a bug/fly/butterfly-like insect. Chubbs had a good time gnawing at it's base and enjoyed the crinkling sound the wings make. He also found it fun to twirl the revolving bits surrounding the base, and squeeze the soft body, which squeaks. Another case of toy-buying success!