Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lunches with Shu


My secondary school friend, Shu, and I meet for lunch once in two weeks on average. Some days, she'll ta-pow something for us to have at home, other times, we head out for pizza at La Nonna, which is just around the corner from me. We chat, laugh, reminisce about the good old days of school, voice our frustrations with daily living, etc. But truth is, I put in the effort to maintain a relationship with her because she's a dear friend with a great heart, and I want to be a relevant part of her life, just as much as I like her being a part of mine.

She's been off to Nepal and India on vacation for one month, and I missed her dearly. To relieve her of her recent deprivation of luxury and to celebrate her return to civilisation, we pigged out at La Nonna again. Our order of soup, appetiser, pizza with truffle emulsion, half-cooked egg and asparagus, tiramisu and pannacotta went down very nicely indeed.

The little one loves the fresh bread there, which he normally pairs with a wedge of cheese. This time, slurped up a small portion of Shu's minestrone. For dessert, he ate half of my pannacotta, which he thinks is a less cold form of vanilla ice-cream. Ma ma mia! Bravissimo!

Thinking of what to do/ eat next.

Ah ha! Dip bread in minestrone soup.

Devour bread!


Shu was well tickled by his antics.

Jealous much, Cheryl?