Sunday, October 17, 2010

"Happy Birthday to Ah Gu!"


My brother, Niel, turns 23 today. For many years, when people asked my brother age, I'd say he was 18. But he was actually already in adulthood. It's like no matter how old he gets, I can't wrap my head around it. He seems to have frozen in time. And it was only when I was preparing the candles to bring for his cake, that I stopped to literally count the years, and realized that my brother was old. Enough ramble... Happy "18th" Birthday Niel!

Dinner was miso soup and chawanmushi that my mum made, and I made a sushi run and brought handrolls, salmon belly sushi and other assorted sushi to the table. Chubbs had handrolls for the first time and he loved it to bits. Together with the handrolls, he ate two bowls of chawanmushi and a bowl of soup with tofu, and fruit and cake after. He's my little Jap baby!



After dinner, he got to play with a new toy, even though it wasn't his birthday. My mum got him a toy guitar, which he totally enjoyed strumming.
Jamming with my dad, who's playing the real mccoy.

Of course Chubbs got to "huff puff" the candles out and cut the cake too. He even sang the Chinese version of "Happy Birthday" to my brother. Great singing, little darling.