Friday, December 18, 2009

Kite "Flying"


I been told that I'm the second biggest "sua-koo" (mountain tortoise) around. Fuzzy being the biggest. Literally. Reason is, we haven't been to the Marina Barrage or anywhere "happening" for that matter. Sigh. Determined to be more "with it", we headed south with not one, not two, but three kites in tow; simply because we are not confident of the make and integrity of kites these days, and not at all because of our (lack of) kite-flying prowess. Ahem! Anyway, I attribute this current kite-flying craze to our recent West Coast Park outings and especially after hearing from Chris and Cher Chen that we can fly kites at the green roof of the barrage. I couldn't fathom it at first; sounded so foreign and bizarre to me.

A week ago- sadly looking at the kites at West Coast Park.

Reading in the car, on the way to the barrage.

Before we got there, I thought it'll be a quiet hang-out spot, with just a few small families and young couples lounging around. Wrong. The car park was full; with people even parking alongside the roads. There were teenagers having school outings, large families picnicing, lovers lying on the grass, kids in strollers, etc. Not quite what we expected, eh? Almost everyone was flying a kite, or trying to, at least :/


We decided to first launch the kite that looked most promising. Chubbs was super thrilled by the sight of it; probably also because it matched his outfit.

Helping Daddy set up.

To my surprise, it took me just a little while to get the kite up and going while being in-charge of watching Chubbs. This success was so unexpected that I didn't have Fuzzy nearby to take over the reigns.

Woohoo! Look at us go!

Chubbs was very proud of our high-flying kite.

And he did a fine job taking control of the reigns.

Unfortunately, the wind waned soon after and our kite plummeted to the ground. So super Mommy decided to launch the kite again. The winds were not so cooperative this time around :(

Chubbs grabs my legs, asking for the reigns once he sees the kite take off. I've realised that it's difficult to be a successful kite-flyer with 12-kg attached to my leg :/

Both of us watching me crash attempt no. 101.

I congratulate us on our valiant attempts, and we will definitely do this again. This is considered a form of exercise right? I feel so virtuous :) Also, the excitement and joy on Chubbs' face and the cute squeals when he flies the kite is priceless.

Till the next time...