Friday, May 13, 2011

More Kiddie Menu Ideas


Chubbs has a new favourite dinner. Pasta with Barilla's bottled pasta sauce, which has zucchini, aubergine/ eggplant, carrots, celery, onions and tomatoes. I used to turn my nose up on bottled sauces, but this one is fabulous because he gets veggies that I don't use often. Check the sodium content of any bottled sauces and make sure there's no MSG, starch, preservatives, etc. I serve a big bowl of this either with some grilled chicken, a substantial piece of cheese, or just on its own. But always with a huge splash of the best extra virgin olive oil.


Macaroni with Barilla zucchini and aubergine pasta sauce and 1 chopped up grilled honey-soy chicken drumstick. He finished it and had a bowl of watermelon for fruit.

Another meal that's always a favourite of Chubbs is soba noodles in miso soup. Fuzzy searched the supermarket to find an instant miso soup base that doesn't contain MSG. I whipped up his dinner in 10min. And thankfully for me, Chubbs loves frozen mixed veggies.

Grilled chicken thigh with soba noodles, miso soup and frozen mixed vegetables. After finishing his meal, he had watermelon for fruit and as a treat, a frozen juice pop.

Pizza margherita with cherry tomatoes. His fruit with dinner was a bowl of grapes.

Pizza has a weird bad rap for being unhealthy and it's often labelled as junk; something which I can't understand why. It's basically bread + tomato puree/ paste + cheese. I guess if you put oily toppings like salami, pepperoni or both on, then yes it turns out rather greasy. But I keep it very simple and healthy. I often just spread a piece of wholemeal bread with tomato paste and put a handful of grated mozzarella on, toast or bake until the cheese is thoroughly melted and slightly golden brown, and serve with tomatoes on the side and fruit. Or I'll order extra plain cheese or four cheese pizza when we eat at a pizzeria, and freeze the leftovers for Chubbs' instant dinners. Easy peasy... as Chubbs likes to say.