Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Caramelized Apples and the B-O-Y


This recipe for a sweet, fruity treat is dead simple, and utterly delicious. Fuzzy, baby and I ate the whole lot as a pre-dinner snack with dollops of luscious Greek yoghurt. Sublime.

Ingredients:-
4 small apples (Use any tart variety you fancy- I used organic Fuji.)
1 tbsp butter
1/3 cup water
1 tbsp demerara sugar

Method:-
1) Peel, core and cube apples.
2) Heat the butter in a pan till sizzling.
3) Toss in apples, and cook over medium heat until slightly yielding.
4) Deglaze the pan with water (or any other liquid- I figure white wine or rum would be delicious, but I kept it virgin for Chubbs.)
5) Add the sugar and let apples steam in the syrup for a short while. At this point, you can add ground cinnamon, cardamom, nutmeg, ginger, or whatever spice you like. I left my version plain because the apples were very good, and the sugar I used is already vanilla-infused.
6) Once the caramel thickens and the apples are softened to your liking, they are done! Serve with vanilla ice-cream, pancakes, crepes, waffles, plain yoghurt, a croissant, and even something savoury like pork chops. They basically go well with everything; I recommend you double the recipe, because they would keep well in a fridge for a day or two.

On a side note, my boy can spell urm... B-O-Y! He has been particularly familiar with the letters "B" and "O" for a while, and proudly spelt out the name "Bob" (part of some random slogan on Fuzzy's shirt) on his own, some time back. And when we play our daily session of Pictionary (I draw on the doodle board and he guesses the animal, shape or object), he has been requesting that I spell the word out as well. So I just go along with it, writing the words out after he correctly guesses, never thinking much of it, not even believing that it might actually help him spell. But this morning, he learnt a new letter, "Y", together with the picture of a boy; he has been spelling B-O-Y since. I thought it was a fluke, but he has done it too many times that I'm convinced it isn't. And when I ask if he can do it backwards (I hadn't taught him this), he doesn't even blink and goes, "Y-O-B". Super cool!

Chubbs and a part of his animal council.