Monday, April 26, 2010

Banana and Spelt Pancakes


I've posted about these spelt pancakes before. But I've since simplified the recipe, and trust me, it is one of the easiest, quickest things to make for breakfast, brunch, or snack (Chubbs gets to eat them about twice a week). The thing to note is that you can use many different kinds of more nourishing flours in this, than plain flour. Spelt and kamut are my favourites because these grains have less gluten and a higher protein content than wheat, and the pancakes cook up to be deliciously nutty, and wonderfully light and fluffy. I'll be experimenting with teff and oat flour next. Also, when cooking for Chubbs, I try my best to omit/ reduce raising agents like bi-carb and baking powder, so I make the extra effort to beat the egg whites to stiff peaks instead.

Ingredients:-
1/3 cup flour
1 egg, separated
50ml milk (75ml if using kamut flour)
1 small, ripe banana (I use pisang mas)

Method:-
1) Mash the banana. Add the egg yolk and milk to the mashed banana. Stir to combine well.

2) Add the flour and stir until all the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix.

3) Whisk the egg white until stiff peaks form (I use a handheld beater).

4) Gently fold in the egg white to mixture.

5) Ladle over a hot non-stick pan. Cook for a few minutes on each side, until golden brown. Enjoy with pure maple syrup, honey, jam and/ or butter.

Makes 5-6 3-inch pancakes.

Chubbs had four of these pancakes for lunch, together with a handful raisins and pumpkin seeds on the side. He didn't need any honey or maple syrup because they were so fragrant and sweet on their own, thanks to the added banana.

Looking down on purpose when I asked him to smile for the camera...

Looking up on purpose... :/

Finally! Got you!