Sunday, March 7, 2010

Family Day Out and... Ice-Cream!


Fuzzy, Chubbs and I spent an impromtu but lovely day out, just walking around, contributing to the economy, enjoying a simple sushi lunch, fixing Fuzzy's spectacles, supermarketing, having coffee, cheesecake and scones, and exploring the HortPark for the first time. Here are some fun and funny moments of the great day.

Chubbs "driving" the safari mobile, and insisted I sit in the passenger seat. I told him I couldn't fit, but he would have non of that.

Stuffing his face with edamame at lunch.

Because I don't give Chubbs uncooked food from restaurants, like fruit, salads and the like, I had to sneak in my rather big piece of watermelon (Chubbs' all-time fave) at lunch when he was distracted. In turn, I looked like an absolute unglam glut! I can almost still hear Fuzzy laughing hard in the background. For the record, I gave him the evil-eye.

This was Fuzzy's cowardly attempt; hiding the watermelon behind the iced o-cha as he ate.

Chubbs was re-energized after having a cranberry scone at Cedele, to make lots of funny faces at us throughout tea.

Chubbs having a run at the well-manicured lawns of the HortPark for the first time; he was thrilled. He also made a little boy very happy by giving away the only ball that he had. I'm so proud that Chubbs has become such a sweet and kind boy. Because he knew that that boy really liked his shiny, golden ball, Chubbs actually walked over on his own, handed him the ball, looked at me, laughed, took Fuzzy and my hands and led us away to play at another part of the park.
Chasing Mommy.

Conquering the "stepping stones". Was really afraid that he would join the fish; even though I don't think he would have minded.

Even in their super unripe state, and having never seen them on a tree before, Chubbs still knew that these were the fruit on his shirt.

Hitching a ride.

I've been asked by my in-laws since Chubbs was about 8months old whether he could have ice-cream. It was out of the question before he turned one because of the eggs, cream, milk and preservatives on the ingredients list. Even now that he's older, I'm still a little apprehensive because of the sheer amount of sugar in it. As is, he naturally has a very sweet tooth, and I don't want to be fueling his eternal quest for sweets. But as it turns out, I disappointed myself. I've become soft. It was Chubbs', "Mommy, please?", with his doe-eyed gaze and slight pout that did me in. I rationalised to myself that he is just a couple of days shy of his 18-month birthday, and over the past few months, I've been promising him that that's when he will get his first taste.

Courtesy of Chubbs' pseudo-Godpa, A, he got his first few spoonfuls of Haagen Daz vanilla ice-cream (not so bad because it's made from less than 10 ingredients) for dessert tonight. He slurped up every bit of goodness and kept asking for more. Too bad I have no photos of him taking his first mouthful, but his smile looked very similar to this.