Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Afternoons at Our Home


I fire up my oven every other day; sometimes more often. I love the idea of making my family treats, and having something delicious to go with our afternoon coffee/ tea/ milk everyday. Of course, the smells wafting through the house when the oven's at work is an added bonus. I often bake a huge batch of salted chocolate chip and espresso cookies that'll last us about a week, and in between, I'll whip up some granola for breakfast or a butter cake or brownie for dessert after lunch. I bake with nothing but a bowl, a spatula, a whisk, and the pan the batter cooks in, at most, so washing up is a breeze.

Chubbs is mighty fond of the tradition of having a home-made afternoon snack and enjoying a small treat after dinner. Needless to say, Fuzzy and I really look forward to when 4pm/ 9pm comes around, when we can pull an espresso and put our feet up for 10min and enjoy a yummy home-made nibble.

Today I was in the mood for something caramel-y and full of fibre; so flapjacks it was. Just four humble ingredients to create these more-ish, relatively healthy oat bars (if you ignore the fact that they seethe with butter). It only takes 5-min to prepare the pan for the oven, so I was back with little Mae and Chubbs in the blink of an eye.

Flapjacks

Ingredients:

2 1/4 cups porridge/ quick-cooking oats
150g salted butter
4 tbsp runny honey
2 tbsp golden syrup
handful of any dried fruit (optional)

Method:

1) Melt butter in a pot with the honey and golden syrup.
2) Stir in rolled oats and dried fruit, if you choose.
3) Pour into a 9 x 9-inch pan and pat the mixture flat.
4) Bake for 180 degreesC for 20-min, or until golden and crisp.