Friday, October 7, 2011

Very Hungry Caterpillars


Caterpillars have been devouring our plants, and quite frankly, our entire garden. I loathe them, because they eat the greenest, freshest leaves off my basil plants, and leave nothing but tonnes of poop behind. Fuzzy decided to catch some fat, green ones, who were feeding on our lime plants, and let Chubbs keep them as pets until they become butterflies.

My hubby lovingly plucked leaves to feed to our three very hungry caterpillars daily, who binged and pigged out non-stop for a week or so. Then the cocoons were formed and they stayed that way for around two weeks.

One day, we found a butterfly fluttering around in the jar that was their home. It was beautiful, with black wings that bore yellow and white patterns.
Chubbs insisted on releasing it immediately, so that it could look for his friends.

The next day, when Chubbs and I returned from school, I was excited to find that the other two pupa had turned into butterflies. They looked similar to the previous butterfly, but had bolder yellow and white colours on them. Chubbs again asked me to let them fly away, but I told him that we had to let Daddy see them first. That evening, they too fluttered happily away.