Wednesday, June 9, 2010

We're at 21!


Today Chubbs is grand ol' 21-months old. So I thought I'd cook him a special tasty treat for lunch; butternut squash penne with Parmesan. I deseeded, peeled and cubed the squash before putting it in the steamer for 20-min. Then some garlic and shallot were prepped to be sauteed in olive oil until the shallot turned translucent, before adding the butternut squash for a stir around. I boiled some penne for 15min and then tossed the pasta with the squash mix, with a little of its cooking water. I grated some Parmesan and stirred everything together; it was a yummy gooey mess. Almost an hour later (I cook while running in and out of the kitchen constantly, to make sure my son doesn't dive head-first into the fish pond), our delicious lunch was served!

Chubbs took one bite and spat it out. And repeated that performance for every one of the next few mouthfuls I tried to feed him. In the end, he insisted on having the penne plain. No Parmesan, no olive oil, no salt and pepper. Just al dente penne neat. I give up.

On a happier food note, Chubbs has recently taken to consuming vast amounts of multi-grain bread smothered with jam (I give him an organic one of cherries, pomegranate and grapes). He calls his sandwich, "bread-jam-bread". Makes perfect sense, no? He has been having that as part of his breakfast (after he has had some cereal) and tea-time snack almost everyday for a week now, and washes the carbs down with fresh milk. I'm a happy Mommy... till this phase ends.

Looking up adoringly at Mommy. Awww...

And to celebrate him turning 21-months, we brought him out for a post-dinner treat. Ice-cream! His current favourite thing in the world is a huge scoop of vanilla bean ice-cream (no other flavour will do). The apple does not fall far from the tree.