Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Avocado


I eat avocado almost everyday. I mix it with salsa as a dip/ roast chicken in a salad/ boiled egg and capers (the best sandwich filling!)/ tuna and pickled onions with toast/ in a smoothie with banana and soy milk, etc etc etc. It was the food that I was most eager for Mae to try because it is so nutrient-rich, packed with potassium and good fat. The creamy texture also makes it an ideal weaning food for babies. Unfortunately, there seems to be a dearth of good avocadoes in Singapore at the moment. Unlike just a month or two ago, I just can't get any proper, creamy ones anymore. I was throwing hissy fits everyday, cutting into lousy, plastic-ky-fleshed avocadoes that had to be thrown away. And I hate throwing food away!!!

Mae finally got lucky with one that I paid good money for. I passed it through a sieve, and mixed in some breastmilk before serving it to her, to ensure it was extra smooth. But of course, going by how things have been playing out these days, Mae didn't like it the first few times she had it :( Boo me. But I pressed on, and she seems a lot more tolerant of it these days. I'll give her small amounts often, till she gets used to the taste and texture, and hopefully, she soon love it as much as I do.

Playing happily after her avocado and rice cereal breakfast.