Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Two and a Half, and the New Arrangement


Chubbs has been sleeping in our bed for about two years. For some reason, we always end up sleeping in a H formation, with Fuzzy and I flanking the sides so he doesn't roll off, and Chubbs representing the horizontal line in the H. I sleep with my arms clipped under my thighs so I don't accidentally smack him in the face at night. As you can imagine, I don't get very much sleep. What makes things worse is that Chubbs has very turbulent sleep. So he'll wake every few hours, sit up and fall in any which direction he wishes. And he also enjoys practising 360 degree kicks numerous times in the night. So his feet or head sometimes lands on my nose, in my eye, on my belly, etc. It's weird being kicked awake at 4am, and the first thing I check is, to see if my nose is bleeding or broken. So far, it has bled, but not broke and my lips have been cut and bleeding :( And he has also cultivated the habit of grabbing on to my arm or hand or lying on my shoulder or sprawled out over my tummy when we are sleeping, for comfort. So I can't even scratch an itch, or turn to the side, for fear of waking him up.

My patience is wearing thin, and I need a sound night's sleep! So this is the new arrangement, now that he's two and a half. He sleeps on a king-sized mattress on the floor, next to our bed. And he was really excited about it the first night, until he realised that I won't be sleeping with him. So I held his hand until he fell asleep. All was well, until he woke up a few hours later, and coughed until he vomited because he hasn't recovered from his blocked nose and phlegmy cough. So Fuzzy ended up sleeping with him most of the night to take his temperature and give Panadol when necessary. But nonetheless, it was still a mini success, and fingers crossed that this will give us a good night's rest from now.

Skipped school yesterday because he was feverish. He only ever naps in the day when he's terribly ill :(